Thursday, May 13, 2010

Study Island Regents

It's Regents Prep time in New York State.  Yesterday I trained seven teachers on the use of Study Island as an online assessment preparation program to prepare high school students for the end of the year Regents exams.  The questions that teachers have never cease to amaze me.  They always come up with something new to try and stump me.  Fortunately, there is live support at Study Island and I can use that chat messaging system right while I'm teaching.  I know the Study Island website very well, however, it is created by such a progressive company that the website and program is constantly changing.....improving, enhancing, adding.
Questions that the teachers had surrounded accumulative scoring for students, use of data to inform instruction, use of the new, live view, and creating classes and assignments in general.

I have made note of the teacher questions and will email each, inviting them to meet me, separately, in an Adobe room for follow-up, individual assistance. My greatest frustration in teaching in the districts occurs when there is not enough time allocated.  The curriculum directors set the time...and 45 minutes is not enough time to prepare a teacher to use Study Island or any other web program. By the time the teachers get logged in (and there are always problems with that - or they haven't been issued a username and password) there is very little time to do the program justice.  Note to myself: remember not to trust the district leaders to send out the usernames and passwords to the teachers prior to the training.  Find a way to have my digital team do it so the teachers will be ready on the day of the training.

1 comment:

Mike Roseman said...

Maggie, thank you for all your hard work training CA BOCES schools on Study Island and for your comments about the program and company. I've been reading your blog and each posting is full of great information about strategies and programs that will assist schools. Keep up the great work!