Thursday, October 12, 2006

Week 8 - Classroom Management: General Considerations

When I think of classroom management I remember all the trouble I had teaching vocational 11th and 12th graders in person! My management skills were lacking. I hope that it is easier in the online environment.  Somehow setting rules for email, chat, rules for group participation and "non-rules" for attendance at a certain time seems silly in comparison to setting rules for language in class or permission to use the facility.
However, all kidding aside, the amount of paperwork and software management (here is a site that will offer software and billing capabilities for your course http://www.jackrabbitclass.com/home.cfm) that an online teacher faces is tremendous. Things like synchronous and asynchronous time can cause minor inconveniences. Advanced planning is of the utmost importance as well. Even keeping students on topic in a discussion area must be well- thought out.

No comments: