Thursday, August 31, 2006

Week Two: What issues must a teacher consider that are specific to teaching in an online environment?

Some issues specific to an online teaching environment:
1. Facilitate learning to different learners around the world, but during a specific time frame or semester
2. Provide multiple paths to learning for students with learning disabilities that the facilitator may not even know about
3. Provide an opportunity for student collaboration, even if they are 1000 miles apart
4. Allow for asynchronous interactions by students and foster learning and a sense of camraderie
5. Students must have access to contributions by other students
6. Develop a learning environment conducive to many nationalities and cultures
7. Provide many "links" or assignments for students to choose from, to customize their own learning based upon their interests.
8. Provide an environment where the student does not feel alone, lost, or frustrated
9. Find a way to get to "know" the student, so a relationship can be formed
from Journal of Distance Learning AdministrationSheldon L. Stick, Ph.D.ProfessorCollege of Education and Human SciencesDepartment of Educational AdministrationUniversity of Nebraska-Lincoln
Nataliya V. Ivankova, Ph.D. Assistant Professor School of Education Department of Human StudiesUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
Reference: Yang, Cornelius, Online Journal of Distance Learning Education, Preparing Instructors for Quality Online Instruction, Spring 2005, Volume VIII, Number 1,
http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/spring81/yang81.htm

3 comments:

Lisa Dawley, Ph.D. said...

The #5 point you listed is interesting to reflect on. I would wholeheartedly agree, but also believe this is something that most students are initially uncomfortable with in their online classes. There has been so much pressure in education on "getting it right," that I find many students hesitant to share their work with others due to their own insecurities.

When we publically share our work online, I think we move closer to that ideal of reciprocal learning and learning as a community. When teachers require public sharing of work, they establish the norm that it's ok to learn from others in the course, and thus support notions of peer-based learning.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this topic as an online student...can you share this perspective with me?

Lisa Dawley, Ph.D. said...

Responding the Stacy's question, we get paid the same, but we also feel we do more work in order to teach online. As a result, you learn how to be more efficient in your teaching and program planning to compensate for the extra time. It's always a trade-off.

JensenBlog said...

Regarding the sharing of work and learning with other students, I think that for me it is particularly difficult. I am such a traditional learner and am always focused on doing my work correctly, getting it in on time, and getting a very good grade from the teacher. I am not used to involving anyone other than the teacher and myself in the learning process. I also think that I try to do my work quickly, to get to my other work. I tend to view collaboration as slowing me down, instead of enhancing my learning. This class is "good for me". Class blogs are a fantastic learning tool and I can learn a lot from sharing with peers.